Giddy!

Yup, that really happened last night. I know it seems like a dream, especially if, like me, you stayed up well past midnight to watch the Comcast post-game show and revel in all the debauchary that winning a game brings to this town. But your eyes did not deceive you...and Shanahan's new regime DID NOT disappoint. The Redkins really did beat the Cowboys on Sunday Night Football in front of a rowdy, loud and very pro-Redskins crowd!

It's been so long. Oh, it's been so long. It's been such a tough slog to get to this point, hasn't it? I know many fans of other teams are thinking, "Big deal...it's one win". But to be a Redskin fan in this town for as long as many of us have, this one was so, so sweet.

Granted, it wasn't pretty. And we can thank a few of Dallas' all-time stupidest play calls for helping us get that "W". I mean, really, Romo, why throw that lateral pass when you KNOW your teammate isn't going to score? And to the guy who caught the lateral (Choice, I think)...dude, just GET DOWN and fall on the ball. That's all you have to do. Even I know that, and I've never played a down of football in my life.

But it doesn't matter. None of Dallas' mistakes matter now, because our team finally, FINALLY, took advantage of another teams' misfortune and got a win. For the past 15 years or so, we have not been able to capitalize on other teams' mistakes. Mostly, we've been the ones MAKING them. Remember those back-to-back time outs? The punter trying to throw a touchdown pass? Forget it...let's not rehash it all. What's past is past. I've said it since the beginning of training camp, and I'll say it again now: Shanahan is a true professional, he coaches like a winner, and his team (both players and assistant coaches) is stepping up and responding.

We finally have a team we can believe in. Not necessarily to win every game -- I'm not that crazy. But we have a team that is well-coached. Prepared. Playing as a unit. Fired up and intense. Did you see that aggressive defensive scheme we were running? Did you see our players shuffling in and out without any delay of game penalties, false starts or other ridiculous gaffes or mishaps?

Shanahan is large and in charge, folks. He was prowling that sideline last night and I'm thinking, "I BELIEVE!" He's just one of those guys who looks like he knows what he's doing. And his demeanor is an antidote to too many years of complacency, unprofessionalism, and egoism. I trust him. His coaches and players trust him. He's a pro.

I know last night was the first game of a very long season, and anything can happen going forward. But for the first time in a long time, I feel like I can perhaps take a breath and exhale, knowing our team might finally be headed in the right direction!

0 comments: