My Longest Night as a Fan

Dear God, what a shellacking! Last night's game against the Eagles (can we even call it a game? Was the outcome EVER in doubt after the first play from scrimmage??) was such a debacle I'm not quite sure where to start. How about I begin by saying that for the first time ever, I actually turned off the Redskins game before it ended. And that is saying something.

I didn't quit during any of the Spurrier disasters. During the Patriots beat-down. Not even after the "swining gate" game of the Zorn-era. I have watched every single humiliating play, every bungled snap, every sack, fumble and strip-for-a-score we've had to endure around here since the good ole days of the 1991 season when I was in college and was so optimistic and naive, I thought things would be forever rosy...boy, did I have a lot to learn!

But last night, I simply couldn't take any more. It was bad enough to watch our defense get gashed, our offense sputter, and our coaches look befuddled. But to have to endure the obnoxious trio of Gruden (of whom I USED to be a huge fan of, until last night), Jaws and Tirico (whom I NEVER could stand, and last night sealed the deal) gush over Michael Vick and basically mock our team, players and entire organization...well, it was all too much.

I told you, didn't I? We ALWAYS lay an egg on national television. I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that Patriots debacle was a night game, too, wasn't it? Well, doesn't much matter. There've been enough others. See my post earlier yesterday -- I referenced Baltimore, Pittsburg and Dallas as games I could remember off the top of my head during which we embarrassed ourselves royally on national TV.

But really, wasn't last night just the worst game you can ever remember having to sit through? Maybe it was so spectacularly bad because we were all lulled into thinking that with Shanahan, Allen and McNabb at the helm, our team was actually headed in the right direction this year. Boy, I'll bet last night certainly cured you of that notion, didn't it? If that wasn't an indication that the way we've done business around here for, oh, the last 20 years simply DOESN'T WORK, then I don't know what would be.

It was bad. Oh, it was bad. So bad I had to walk out of the room on more than one occasion. So bad I refused to read any stuff coming over the twitter line or the Post Insider site. So bad I wouldn't answer any of the consoling texts coming my way. So bad I yelled at my husband, cursed more forcefully at the TV than I can ever remember, and threw things across the room. So bad, I had to actually quit watching. I just couldn't do it anymore.

So, where do we go from here? I'd love to say we go on to soundly thump Tenessee this weekend to make up for our misery, but really, how can anyone even say something like that after last night's performance? We'll be lucky to make it out of the season with any more wins at this rate.

Shhh...if you listen closely, you can just make out the faint sounds of hysterical laughter. Sounds like Jim Zorn, Steve Spurrier, Marty, and even Joe Gibbs to me. Even they never had it this bad!

0 comments: