A personal note...

A brief jump away from the world of football...today I walked in the Race For the Cure event to end breast cancer, and while those who know me best know I usually shy away from these kinds of events, I must say today was a very special day.

I am officially four years cancer-free after a second round of breast cancer following the birth of my adorable son Tilghman (see photos above!), and today, walking with the more than 35,000 other supporters and survivors of this terrible disease, I discovered a wonderful sense of comfort and pride that truly brought tears to my eyes. And I'm not really much of a crier.

Wearing my pink survivor's shirt and marching arm-in-arm with some of my dear friends this morning, I realized I have been extremely fortunate to have been able to put the fear and anguish of my cancer diagnosis firmly in the rearview mirror and move forward into the future with joy and peace. I rarely, if ever, think about the days when I had no hair, when I was sick from the chemo, when I despaired of ever seeing my children graduate from high school.

Today, I am strong, healthy, and positive in my belief that I am a survivor who WILL be around to see my kids graduate, to grow old with my dear husband, and yes, to cheer on my beloved Redskins to victory year after year after year. I am so grateful to be alive. I am grateful for the overflowing wealth of family and friends I am blessed to have in my life. I am so lucky to be able to share moments like the one this morning...to watch the sun rise while thousands of like-minded people march in unity, to feel the cool air on my face, to sing and laugh and love and skip and run and jump.

As I said, I don't usually spend too much time thinking about my "breast cancer survivor" status, but I do know this: cancer has definitely changed my outlook -- for the BETTER! I really do appreciate my life in ways I never could have imagined. I am a survivor determined to embrace everything that comes my way. The big things, and the little things, too. Because I know how precious life can be, I have been given the gift of perspective. I now know what is a "big thing" and what, frankly, doesn't matter all that much.

And so, while everyone knows what an absolute zealot I am about my Redskins, always remember I really do keep it all in check. I know what is important and what I can just laugh about and say, "Oh, well, better luck next time!" Life and love and family and friends -- big things. Redskins -- small thing.

But it WAS great to see that win today!

0 comments: