Hog Heaven

Driving home from South Carolina on Saturday after our family vacation, I couldn't help but feel excited. Not only were the Skins back in training camp (hooray!) but Russ Grimm was going to be inducted into the Hall of Fame that evening. I couldn't wait to watch his speech that evening, and as expected, he didn't disappoint.

Grimm's tribute to Redskins' fans was heartfelt. He evoked memories held dear by so many of us true fans -- RFK Stadium rockin' to the famous "We want Dallas" chant. That awesome seat cushion game. The diesel horn blowing as 44 carried the ball up field. I love that Grimm is such a team guy. He and his fellow Hogs defined the Skins winning teams, and they are proud to be a part of the burgandy and gold. How great is that? I love Russ Grimm's pride, his simple approach to winning, his determination, his grit. I love that he's not afraid to stand up and say, hey, I'm a Redskin. I've always been a Redskin, and I always will be. It's about pride, plain and simple.

I know many Skins fans are tired of living in the past, and I obviously agree. I want a winning team this year and in the future as much as the next fan. But I can't help but feel a sense of connection to the past when I see guys like Russ Grimm stand up and say "We were winners, and this is what it took to be a winner." We need more of that on our team this year.

Stay tuned...I'm heading to training camp this Sunday to check out the team in person. I'm bringing my video camera to post some footage of my trip -- let's hope my camera doesn't get confiscated in the process!

0 comments: