Dress Rehearsal

OK, three down and one to go. The most important preseason game each year is in the books, and it seems to me we're left with a few more questions than answers.

Like, Beck or Grossman? To many, that is THE question. And it's a valid one, for sure. But it's certainly not the ONLY question. I'm wondering a few other things of note, like what will become of the defensive line now that Jarvis Jenkins is gone? Will that push up front become weak like last year? And how about DeAngelo Hall -- he's an interception machine but gets beat in coverage way too often...and without a strong push up front, will he be even more exposed? And what about the health of Cooley and Landry, among others?

Yes, the offense looked pretty efficient against Baltimore last night. Can't deny that, although I'd like to have seen a few more visits to the end zone from the first-string offense. And the defense held up pretty well, except for the secondary getting beat more than I personally feel comfortable with. And our special teams looks solid, which is also good news. And how about Gruden and the gang fawning over our team's "hustle" and overall strength. That was all pretty positive.

So why do I feel sort of luke-warm about the whole thing? I guess becuase I still don't really get what this team is about. OK, I know now we are a zone running team, and a 3-4 defense (with MUCH better personnel this year). We play with heart, and with quick tempo. All good.

But who, exactly, ARE we? Who will lead this team? Who will quarterback this team? Who will help us move from the bottom of the NFC East cellar and into respectability.

I'm still waiting. Guess we'll find out on September 11th against the Giants...

0 comments: